Search Postgresql Archives

Re: perpetual dump/restore problem

On Jul 5, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:

wu_zhong_min@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear List,
As many of you know every time one wants to upgrade to a major server
version, as I want to do now, there is a need for pg_dumpall and
restore.  This is a huge undertaking and requires lots of testing and
planning.  I do hope that in the future this requirement will be
dropped.

There is currently some discussion about an upgrade tool, but there has been discussion before. It's not a simple problem, and it won't reduce the need for testing, just the dump/restore.

One shot at that would be the pg_migrator tool that Enterprise DB has put up on pgfoundry (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/? group_id=1000235&release_id=763). It does have it's caveats, though, so make sure to carefully read the documentation in the download.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888