Search Postgresql Archives

Re: COPY FROM - how to identify results?

nextval() and sequences are not what I'm looking for. I want to assign the same id to all the rows imported from the same file. Let's say user A is working on portfolio_id 3, and decides to upload a spreadsheet with new values. I want to be able to import the spreadsheet into the staging table, and assign a portfolio_id of 3 to all its entries. Of course, I can't just UPDATE the staging table to have portfolio_id = 3, because user B might also be uploading a sheet for portfolio_id = 9.

The first thing to occur to me is to make the staging table TEMP, so every session its own copy. But the second thing is, do you really need a portfolio_id column in the staging table? After you get the data massaged correctly into the staging table, perhaps you could load it into the main table thusly:

  insert into main_table (portfolio_id, other_columns ...)
    select 3, other_columns ... from staging_table;

where 3 is the portfolio_id you want to assign to all the data you're currently loading. This may not work exactly for your situation, but does some variant make sense?

- John Burger
  MITRE