Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Webappication and PostgreSQL login roles

Thorsten Kraus wrote:
Hi,

I designed a Java web application. The persistence layer is a PostgreSQL database. The application needs user authentication. I think it's a good choice to implement this authentication mechanism via PostgreSQL login roles. So I can create several database login roles and set the database permissions to this login roles. This is my first project with the postgres database, so I don't know how I can validate a login from the website. Is there a best practice to do this or does PostgreSQL offers a stored procedure like 'authenticateUser(String username, String password)'?

Thanks for your help.

Bye,
Thorsten

Can you not use the username/password as part of the DSN?

Regards,
Lutz Broedel

--
Lutz Broedel

Leibniz University of Hannover
Institute for Water Quality & Waste Management / ISAH
Division: Water Resources Management

Am Kleinen Felde 30
D - 30167 Hannover, Germany
phone +49 (0)511 762 5984
fax      +49 (0)511 762 19 413
lb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To verify the digital signature, you need to load the following certificate:
https://pki.pca.dfn.de/uh-ca/pub/cacert/rootcert.crt