Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

Oisin Glynn wrote:
My 8.2c,
Having 8.1 end of life this soon after the release of 8.2 seems pretty harsh.

Yeah, I agree. In part I'm basing the idea to support the current and 2 previous branches on the amount of work required to build a complete set of point releases in one go - 3 seems manageable over a weekend. 4 would probably be possible, but would be more rushed than I'd like.

Also, three just seems like a sensible number to maintain. I kinda like Magnus' idea to put older releases into a sort of 'retired' mode though, and build only the binaries for PostgreSQL itself.

Regards, Dave.