Search Postgresql Archives

Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Fred Tyler wrote:

It is not from the exit. I see the exact same problem and I never
restart postgres and it never crashes. It runs constanty and with no
crashes for 20-30 days until the box is out of memory and I have to
reboot.

my theory, which i hope to prove/disprove tonight, is this is happening to us:

postgres is slurping all that memory because it should- there's probably a setting on your box that is letting it consumer more shared memory than you want. some issue with the kernel/postgres is not truly freeing the shared memory when postmaster exits

in other words, i think the leak isn't in those 20-30 days-- i think thats likely a configuration issue. but i think there is a leak when you stop the daemon