Search Postgresql Archives

Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

OK, that kills the theory that the leak is triggered by subprocess exit.
Another thing that would be worth trying is to just stop and start the
postmaster a large number of times, to see if the leak occurs at
postmaster exit.

On FreeBSD I'm not seeing any leak on subprocesses exit. Multiple psql clients just consume memory - often shared - then toss it back nicely. The consumed memory / available memory does grow - but its all allocated for, and within expected constraints.

I believe, however, I'm seeing a leak on postmaster exit.

Can someone suggest to me a SQL query I can loop a few thousand times to drive up shared memory use? Basically, to test I'd like to do something like what was suggested in the archived osx thread:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-08/msg00972.php
	====
	while true
	do
		psql -c "select count(*) from tenk1" regression
	done
	====

except instead of relying on a leak to increase memory, I'd like a rather intensive large function with a dataset to consumer massive amounts of ram. I just can't think of any function to do that.