Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Replication and PITR

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 07:47 +0200, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:
- No reliability.  On slow days, WAL logs could take a long time to
rotate, so small but important transactions might not be replicated
  for a long time.

So it is all right for backup but for replication it could end up laking
too much behind, and a fail over could be hours behind.

So PITR can be used, but one of the cons is the unpredictable delay of
data. I thought one of the ideas behind the PITR system was to get
rather reason backups of data ...

8.2 will fix this. You can send the WALs periodically even if they're
not full. In general, PITR will be substantially improved in 8.2 (thanks
Simon!).

You can work around it right now, too; you just need an external process that will find the active WAL file and periodically copy it to the backup. I'm pretty sure there's info in the archives about the details of setting this up, and there's also the PITRHA project on pgFoundry.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@xxxxxxxxx