Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FATAL: could not read statistics message

On 5/16/06, Sean Davis <sdavis2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am using postgresql 8.1.0 on an Xserver running MacOS 10.3.9.  I am
getting the following in the log every minute for the past couple of days.
The database is otherwise running normally, as far as I can tell:

2006-05-16 07:26:01 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
Resource temporarily unavailable
2006-05-16 07:27:01 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
Resource temporarily unavailable
2006-05-16 07:28:03 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
Resource temporarily unavailable

I saw a previous message in the archives, but it did not appear that any
conclusion was reached.  Tom suggested that an EAGAIN signal was being
received from the system, but I'm not sure what this means exactly or why it
is happening now, as we have had the server running for months.

Any insight?

I ran into this problem also on OS X running Postgresql 8.0. When you
start postgresql you usually see these 4 processes:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
postgres: writer process
postgres: stats buffer process
postgres: stats collector process

When I saw the same error as you, the stats collector process was
missing. A few times we also got messages like

[KERNEL]: no space in available paging segments; swapon suggested

and then a bunch of these:

postgres[13562]: [1-1] FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
Resource temporarily unavailable

We thought it was our memory tuning of OS X. Since it wasn't a
production box, we didn't pursue the problem further. What tuning have
you done to postgresql.conf and the OS X memory settings?