Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FATAL: could not read statistics message

On 5/16/06 3:08 PM, "Tony Wasson" <ajwasson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/16/06, Sean Davis <sdavis2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am using postgresql 8.1.0 on an Xserver running MacOS 10.3.9.  I am
>> getting the following in the log every minute for the past couple of days.
>> The database is otherwise running normally, as far as I can tell:
>>
>> 2006-05-16 07:26:01 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
>> Resource temporarily unavailable
>> 2006-05-16 07:27:01 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
>> Resource temporarily unavailable
>> 2006-05-16 07:28:03 EDT   FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
>> Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> I saw a previous message in the archives, but it did not appear that any
>> conclusion was reached.  Tom suggested that an EAGAIN signal was being
>> received from the system, but I'm not sure what this means exactly or why it
>> is happening now, as we have had the server running for months.
>>
>> Any insight?
>
> I ran into this problem also on OS X running Postgresql 8.0. When you
> start postgresql you usually see these 4 processes:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
> postgres: writer process
> postgres: stats buffer process
> postgres: stats collector process
>
> When I saw the same error as you, the stats collector process was
> missing. A few times we also got messages like

Now that I look, I see the same thing.

> [KERNEL]: no space in available paging segments; swapon suggested

No such line in the logs

> and then a bunch of these:
>
> postgres[13562]: [1-1] FATAL:  could not read statistics message:
> Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> We thought it was our memory tuning of OS X. Since it wasn't a
> production box, we didn't pursue the problem further. What tuning have
> you done to postgresql.conf and the OS X memory settings?

I had cranked things up a bit from the standard install.

shared_buffers = 15000                  # min 16 or max_connections*2, 8KB
each
#temp_buffers = 1000                    # min 100, 8KB each
#max_prepared_transactions = 50         # can be 0 or more
work_mem = 10000                        # min 64, size in KB
maintenance_work_mem = 128000           # min 1024, size in KB
max_stack_depth = 4096                  # min 100, size in KB

Some of these may not be ideal, but it really improved performance for our
needs.

Suggested by the lack of a stats collector process or stats buffer process,
I restarted the server, and it appears to have fixed the issue for now.  At
least I know what to watch for now.

Thanks, Tony, for the reply.

Sean