Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows not starting

Chris Travers wrote:

I have a customer who is having issues starting PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows. It worked for a while and now doesn't appear to be running. I thought it was probably a stale pidfile, but had him search and could not find it. Is the pid information still in a pidfile or is it in the registry somewhere on Windows? I am suggesting that he try to start the service manually and look for error messages. But in the mean time I thought I would ask.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Possile reason I hit a while ago was the account that was created for the PostgreSQL service was set to need a PWD change at login and so the service would not start, I was looking in all sorts of other areas before I spotted it, I think it was due to some domain policy as I had not seen it before or since. Or perhaps the account pwd is set to expire.

Oisin