Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Deleting vs foreign keys

On 10/25/05, Csaba Nagy <nagy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess your master table has a considerable tree of child records for
> each deleted record, that's why the deletion takes so long. We have this
> situation too on top level object deletion. Our solution is to make it
> asynchronous, i.e. the user requests it and then a background job does
> it. There's no way to make such deletes blazing fast.

It's a bit puzzling, frankly, to see a nice example of engineering
(which is what I consider a consistent DB design) foiled by a
performance and practical issue. :(

That's it then. I'll ask the designers of the application to consider
implementing the background delete, since it's obvious I can't solve
it satisfactorily solely on the DB side.