Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Deleting vs foreign keys

WireSpot wrote:
On 10/25/05, Csaba Nagy <nagy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess your master table has a considerable tree of child records for
each deleted record, that's why the deletion takes so long. We have this
situation too on top level object deletion. Our solution is to make it
asynchronous, i.e. the user requests it and then a background job does
it. There's no way to make such deletes blazing fast.

It's a bit puzzling, frankly, to see a nice example of engineering
(which is what I consider a consistent DB design) foiled by a
performance and practical issue. :(

Don't kid yourself that there's a solution to this. If you've got a site with a lot of data in a lot of dependent tables, then have to expend a certain amount of effort to delete them.

Anything PG did to make your delete faster would almost certainly slow down updates/inserts/selects. Managing a lot of data takes a lot of effort.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend