Search Postgresql Archives

Re: triggers/functions across databases

Eric Jones wrote:
We are migrating from Informix to Postgres 7.4.7 and are having a difficult time finding if postgres can insert/update tables across different databases. Namely using functions/triggers when an update/insert is performed on a table it updates/inserts in a table on a different database. Informix can do this with no problem but we were wondering if there is an easy way for postgres to do this. I've searched numerous sites and found vague answers. Thanks in advance.

If in doubt, check the manuals or contact the list.

The short answer is "no" - you can query across schemas but not across databases.

The long answer is "maybe" - check the contrib/dblink package (in the source distribution). That can query another database on the same or different machine.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend