Search Postgresql Archives

Re: triggers/functions across databases

Eric Jones wrote:
We are migrating from Informix to Postgres 7.4.7 and are having a difficult time finding if postgres can insert/update tables across different databases. Namely using functions/triggers when an update/insert is performed on a table it updates/inserts in a table on a different database. Informix can do this with no problem but we were wondering if there is an easy way for postgres to do this. I've searched numerous sites and found vague answers. Thanks in advance.

If you have databases that are dependent on each others data you should probably move those databases into a new schema within one database...

See the create schema command.

Otherwise you could use dblink but it would not be my suggestion.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Eric Jones

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster