Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Update on tables when the row doesn't change

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:41, Tim Vadnais wrote:

> >> Why does Postgres perform an update on the table even
> >> if no data changes?
> >> Can I circumvent this behaviour of Postgres?
> >>
> Hi All,
>
> Can someone please address this aspect of Sebastian's email?  I, too, am
> interested in the response.

Actually, I believe it was addressed by Tom, when he said that it would
be more costly to check every single update to see if there WAS a change
before applying it than to just apply the changes every time.

I concur.  Can you imagine slowing down ALL updates by 5% or something
like that just to prevent the rare case where an update didn't actually
change a value?

      joining column's datatypes do not match