Search Postgresql Archives

Re: constant crashing

On 4/14/24 14:50, jack wrote:

Reply to list also
Ccing list

Hello,
I am not sure what "locale" means.

Go to the settings App for whatever version of Windows you are on and search for locale.

The Windows app is an inhouse application which uses Actian-Zen SQL.
The data is exported to simple ASCII in a tab delimited format similar to CSV.

And you know it is ASCII for a fact?

Those files are then imported into the PostgreSQL table using COPY.
Importing the data is not an issue.
I am able to load all the data without any problems, even into 1 table which ends up with about 1.2 billion records.
But when I try to update the data in that table I get many errors, essentially crashes.

Repeating what has been asked and answered it not really going anywhere.

There may be some control characters (garbage) in the data but that should not crash postgresql, especially if it can import the data without issues.

Unless it does. That is the point of the questions, getting to what is actually causing the issue. Until the problem can be boiled down to a reproducible test case there really is not much hope of anything more then the the 'yes you have a problem' answer. And there is a difference between dumping data into a table and then doing an UPGRADE where the data strings are manipulated by functions.

Anyway, I hope I answered your questions.
Thanks for your help.