Search Postgresql Archives

Re: CREATE/DROP ROLE transactional? GRANT/REVOKE?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> DDL commands in Postgres are
>> transactional unless their man page explicitly says they're not.

> Could you point to where in the doc this is stated?

For example, for CREATE DATABASE the first "Note" para in [1] is

    CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed inside a transaction block.

I don't think we are entirely consistent about whether this is
mentioned in "Description" or "Notes", but it's there somewhere.

Yes, I noticed that, once I read Erik's email (went to GMail's SPAM folder...).

Still, my little brain didn't leap to the conclusion that other DDLs were implicitly transactional,
because missing of a note another DDL's doc has. All I'm saying it's not as obvious as you
experienced PostgreSQL folks seems to think it is. FWIW. Thanks again, --DD