Search Postgresql Archives

Re: CREATE/DROP ROLE transactional? GRANT/REVOKE?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi. Perhaps I missed it in the doc (e.g. [1]), but are DDLs around ROLEs
> and GRANTs transactional?

Your expectation is set wrongly.

Thanks for the precision Tom.

Although I'm not sure where you read my expectectation was wrong. But nevermind.

DDL commands in Postgres are
transactional unless their man page explicitly says they're not.

OK, didn't know that. Glad to read it.

Could you point to where in the doc this is stated?

It's hard to be sure about something the doc does *not* mention,
when what is *implied* is hard to find, or at a distance. Especially
at least another well known RDBMS differ in that department.
I much prefer the way PostgreSQL handles DDL, still it's not obvious.

My $0.02. Thanks, --DD