Search Postgresql Archives

Re: logical replication snapshots

On 07/26/2018 04:48 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 07/26/2018 05:34 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 07/26/2018 03:01 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

Let me ask a different question: if I drop and re-create a published
table on the publisher without doing anything to the publication and
subscription, what happens?

Take a look at:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-alterpublication.html

Thanks but what I ask (and what I suspect happened here while I wasn't
looking) is

- create schema foo with tables bar and baz and some rows in 'em
- create publication foopub with foo.bar and foo.baz
- create subscription to foopub on the other node, initial sync and all
- drop schema foo on the publisher
- create schema foo with tables bar and baz and some rows in 'em

The publication foopub is at this point fubar I take it? And needs to be
re-created on the publisher and reconnected on the subscriber? Complete
with with inital resync?

Not sure. Personally I would try:

1) ALTER PUBLICATION DROP TABLE foo|bar;

2) ALTER PUBLICATION ADD TABLE foo|bar;

3) ALTER SUBSCRIPTION sub_name REFRESH PUBLICATION

If you get to 3) it will re-sync the data unless you tell it otherwise.

The above is probably dependent on the size of the publication. If you did a publication for ALL it would make more sense to do the above then if you did a publication for just foo or bar.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx