Search Postgresql Archives

Re: logical replication snapshots

On 07/26/2018 10:54 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 07/25/2018 07:57 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2018-07-25 12:31:01 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

Would "permission denied" be relevant?

Logical decoding is something I am still learning. The "permission denied"
would to me be relevant only to the extent that it seems to be provoking:

Yes, it looks related. Looks like logical rep was trying to perform the
intiial sync of those tables, and couldn't due to permission errors.

I'm not sure what happened, I remember the initial sync of that
particular schema failing on one table only, but looking at it now, all
tables are empty on the subscriber.

To me that indicates all the syncs failed.

"LOG:  logical decoding found consistent point at 19/E6942440"
DETAIL:  There are no running transactions."

Others with more experience in this area would need to fill whether that
might account for the 13 million files in the ~snapshot/ directory.

That indicates there's some error handling issues to be resolved. Petr?

It logs "COPY TO STDOUT", does that actually cache to disk (in ~snapshot/)?

That is getting deeper into the code then I have been, so I don't know. FYI the code is below and the part that triggered the error is around line 762 (copy_table(Relation rel)).

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/replication/logical/tablesync.c;h=acc6498567d07c3e93d0adf5039a10c693e38f64;hb=HEAD

Would it be safe to delete every file in ~snapshot/ older than some
X-number of minutes? (And what a good X might be?)

Again I don't know the answer to this. Are you trying this on a test setup or production one?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx