Search Postgresql Archives

Re: logical replication snapshots

On 07/26/2018 02:06 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 07/26/2018 02:54 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 07/26/2018 10:54 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

I'm not sure what happened, I remember the initial sync of that
particular schema failing on one table only, but looking at it now, all
tables are empty on the subscriber.

To me that indicates all the syncs failed.

Yeah, well... the error message said one table failed and I went off to
find out why (a co-worker added a column behind everyone's back) and
never checked 'count(*)' on the other tables.

The thing that has me somewhat confused is:

ERROR: permission denied for schema macromolecules

I would thought the replication user could access that.

Is there something special about that schema?

Did the user role you set up for replication have the REPLICATION attribute or was it a superuser?

... deleting files in ~snapshots
Again I don't know the answer to this. Are you trying this on a test
setup or production one?

I could fire up another instance on a different port off the now-broken
$PGDATA easily enough and test. However if whatever uses those files
needs to start from the very first file and "replay" them in sequence,
that won't work.

If I remember back correctly this is because the server chokes on the 13 million files in the ~/pg_logical/snapshot directly.

I wonder what happens if you change(on test setup)?:

wal_level = logical

wal_level = replica

The files are named like 19_E6942440.snap which presumably corresponds
to "LOG: logical decoding found consistent point at 19/E6942440" and
they seem to get progressively larger. That suggest that maybe just one
(the newest one) could be good enough...

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx