Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Python versus Other Languages using PostgreSQL

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I've been out of the programming world for a long time, so I am back to being a newbie. I was told this is the place for newcomers to ask questions. I apologize if my questions did not contain the necessary sophistication or nuance for some to answer.

George, your answer makes the most sense. Thank you!  You said:

>>Most cloud servers come preconfigured with some variation of either
the "LAMP" or "LAPP" stack: i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL or Postgresql,
PHP or Python.

>>There needs to be a compelling *application* reason to install
something else: a JVM (or Apache-Tomcat vs regular Apache),
Ruby/Rails, Groovy/Grails, etc.

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 7:54 AM, George Neuner <gneuner2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 8 May 2017 14:26:02 -0700, Paul Hughes <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I noticed that most of the largest web platforms that use PostgreSQL as
>their primary database, also use Python as their primary back-end language.
>Yet, according to every benchmark I could find over the last couple of
>years, back-end languages like PHP, HHVM, and Node.JS outperform Python by
>2x to 8x!
>
>So here are my questions:
>
>1) Why do the largest web applications that use PostgreSQL also use Python,
>even though Python is significantly slower than it's biggest competitors?

Most cloud servers come preconfigured with some variation of either
the "LAMP" or "LAPP" stack: i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL or Postgresql,
PHP or Python.

There needs to be a compelling *application* reason to install
something else: a JVM (or Apache-Tomcat vs regular Apache),
Ruby/Rails, Groovy/Grails, etc.

>2) Can PostgreSQL just as easily be used with PHP or Node.js? If not, why
>not?

Absolutely.  The DBMS is (programming) language neutral - the only
requirement is that a client speak the wire protocol.  That can be
done natively, or via a library/driver.

>3) Can PostgreSQL be made to work seamlessly to take advantage of the
>superior performance of HHVM or Node.js?

Not really sure what you're asking.  The application running under
HHVM or node.js is completely separate from Postgresql.

Both PHP and _javascript_ (generically and for node.js specifically)
have libraries for Postgresql.

George