Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [PERFORM] Questionaire: Common WAL write rates on busy servers.

On 04/27/2017 06:34 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2017-04-27 09:31:34 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On 04/27/2017 08:59 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

Ok, based on the, few, answers I've got so far, my experience is
indeed skewed. A number of the PG users I interacted with over
the last couple years had WAL write ranges somewhere in the range
of 500MB/s to 2.2GB/s (max I'veseen). At that point WAL insertion
became a major bottleneck, even if storage was more than fast
enough to keep up. To address these we'd need some changes, but
the feedback so far suggest that it's not yet a widespread
issue...

I would agree it isn't yet a widespread issue.

I'm not yet sure about that actually. I suspect a large percentage
of people with such workloads aren't lingering lots on the lists.

To a certain extent, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you know you'll have such a busy system, you probably do some research and testing first, before choosing the database. If we don't perform well enough, you pick something else. Which removes the data point.

Obviously, there are systems that start small and get busier and busier over time. And those are the ones we see.

cheers