Search Postgresql Archives

Re: initdb createuser commands

On 10/30/2016 03:42 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
A given the number of new users I see showing up and the number of those using a GUI like pgAdmin I am not seeing the priority.

Well, maybe the reason for this is that the command line tools are not
well thought out and people reach for alternatives.

but you are pushing against something that has significant inertia.

I understand where you are coming from. However, I don't think I'm
pushing against it. I'm just providing feedback and ideas. The ideas I
did provide don't really push, but are incremental improvements which
preserve backwards compatibility.

As a community I'd think that having feedback from a new user would be
valuable since as you say, sometimes when you get ingrained into the
"way of doing things" that you don't see how they could be improved or
different.

I do not see anyone pre-approving a PR that they have not seen.

I'm not suggesting anyone to pre-approve anything. I'm suggesting that
there is no point investing the effort if there is no desire to fix
the problem. If the problem would be acknowledged by a core dev and a
"Let's improve this" attitude were espoused, I'd feel more confident
to invest the time and effort required to improve things.

I would suggest bringing this up on --hackers then:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/

You will probably get a better sense of what is considered possible there.

But so far, I'm getting the opposite.

Kind regards,
Samuel

--