Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Recursive Arrays 101

On 27/10/15 10:26, David Blomstrom wrote:
Here's what it looks like now:

CREATE TABLE public.gz_life_mammals
(
  id integer NOT NULL,
  taxon text NOT NULL,
  parent text NOT NULL,
  slug text,
  namecommon text,
  plural text,
  extinct smallint NOT NULL,
  rank smallint NOT NULL,
  key smallint NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT "Primary Key" PRIMARY KEY (id),
  CONSTRAINT "Unique Key" UNIQUE (taxon)
)
WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);
ALTER TABLE public.gz_life_mammals
  OWNER TO postgres;

* * * * *

I don't even have a clue what OIDS=FALSE means; I haven't read up on it yet. It's just there by default. I haven't figured out how to change the NULL value for any columns, other than toggle back and forth between NULL and NOT NULL.

To assign a user, would I just ask it to associate a table with my username? Can I do that with pgAdmin3?

Thanks.
Hi David,

Constructing SQL in an editor and executing the SQL script using psql is often a lot easier than using pgadmin3, and gives you far more control! I use both, but more often use psql.

From the postgres user and using psql, you can create a user & database like:

CREATE ROLE gavin
LOGIN
CREATEDB;

CREATE DATABASE gavin
OWNER gavin;

Obviously, you can create a database with a different name for the same user. Just that the above means that if you call up psql from a terminal of that user, you don't need to explicitly tell it what database to use.

I created an SQL script create_table.sql (usually better to have a more descriptive name!) in an editor:

CREATE TABLE public.gz_life_mammals
(
  id            int PRIMARY KEY,
  taxon         text UNIQUE NOT NULL,
  parent        text NOT NULL,
  slug          text,
  name_common   text,
  plural        text,
  extinct       smallint NOT NULL,
  rank          smallint NOT NULL,
  key           smallint NOT NULL
);

Here is a session where I create the table (I created the terminal in the same directory as the SQL script, you can also simply cd to the relevant directory before executing psql):
$ psql
psql (9.4.4)
Type "help" for help.

gavin=> \i create_table.sql
CREATE TABLE
gavin=> \q
$

You might be able to do all the above using pgadmin3...

Cheers,
Gavin