Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Recursive Arrays 101

On 27/10/15 09:29, David Blomstrom wrote:
[...]
Regarding my "usage patterns," I use spreadsheets (Apple's Numbers program) to organize data. I then save it as a CSV file and import it into a database table. It would be very hard to break with that tradition, because I don't know of any other way to organize my data.

On the other hand, I have a column (Rank) that identifies different taxonomic levels (kingdom, class, etc.). So I can easily sort a table into specific taxonomic levels and save one level at a time for a database table.

There is one problem, though. I can easily put all the vertebrate orders and even families into a table. But genera might be harder, and species probably won't work; there are simply too many. My spreadsheet program is almost overwhelmed by fish species alone.
[...]

The maximum number of rows in the LibreOffice spreadsheet (Calc) is 1,073,741,824

LibreOffice is free and available for Apple Macs (as well as for Linux & Microsoft O/S's), see
    http://www.libreoffice.org/download
I suggest you download the 5.0 version

Cheers,
Gavin