Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Recursive Arrays 101

On 10/26/2015 02:26 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
Here's what it looks like now:

CREATE TABLE public.gz_life_mammals
(
   id integer NOT NULL,
   taxon text NOT NULL,
   parent text NOT NULL,
   slug text,
   namecommon text,
   plural text,
   extinct smallint NOT NULL,
   rank smallint NOT NULL,
   key smallint NOT NULL,
   CONSTRAINT "Primary Key" PRIMARY KEY (id),
   CONSTRAINT "Unique Key" UNIQUE (taxon)
)
WITH (
   OIDS=FALSE
);
ALTER TABLE public.gz_life_mammals
   OWNER TO postgres;

* * * * *

I don't even have a clue what OIDS=FALSE means;

That is not necessary. OIDs on user tables are no longer automatically included, so that is FALSE by default. OID is object id. In the old days it used to be a default hidden column on all tables. That turned out not to be a good idea, so they are no longer there for user tables. You will see then on system tables if you specifically do select oid, * from some_system_table.

I haven't read up on it
yet. It's just there by default. I haven't figured out how to change the
NULL value for any columns, other than toggle back and forth between
NULL and NOT NULL.

Is this what you are talking about?:

ALTER TABLE some_table ALTER COLUMN SET NOT NULL

or

ALTER TABLE some_table ALTER COLUMN DROP NOT NULL

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-altertable.html

To assign a user, would I just ask it to associate a table with my
username? Can I do that with pgAdmin3?

Thanks.

--
Adrian Klaver