Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Listen/notify, equivalents on other DBs

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb am 25.09.2015 um 23:41:
I'm trying to get support for PostgreSQL's listen/notify into a
development environment, but since it supports multiple database
backends: can anybody comment on how many other servers have a
comparable facility?

Minimal research has allowed me to code something for
Firebird/Interbase, but I'm not in a position to investigate Oracle,
IBM, MS and the rest. I'd appreciate any general comments from
somebody who has broad SQL experience, I'm not asking for example
code.

For Oracle this would be the "change notification" feature which
goes beyond what Postgres can do if I'm not mistaken as you can
register a query and the client is notified if the result of that
query would change:

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/JJDBC/dbchgnf.htm#JJDBC28815

Thanks for that, very useful. There's minimal info on the Firebird/Interbase equivalent at http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/papers_presentations/Power_Firebird_events.pdf
 but my recollection is that it's very lightweight- no useful payload.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk