Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Server-side hooks for user session start and session end

26.09.2015 20:59, Tom Lane wrote:
[...]
A session-end hook seems pretty problematic to me: you simply cannot
guarantee that it will run at all.  (Consider process crash or server
abort cases.)  So anything built on the assumption that it gets to run
at session end is going to be inherently unreliable.

Yes, I understand that.
For such cases (of e.g. abnormal shutdown) it would also be nice if a database could 'autorun' some specified function just after server has performed whetever startup/replay/cleanup procedures necessary and immediately before it is ready for normal operation. This would allow to perform some checks and cleanups to restore consistency. And actually, such 'autorun' function could be interesting regardless of this session begin/end thing. And there are already quite some hooks in use for session-end cleanups at C-level, like e.g. for disposing temp tables, just none of them expose anything to SQL level. I'd guess this technique is available for use by extensions, so potentially SQL-level hook could also be implemented. Though I think it is a bit beyond my capability at the moment...

Regards,

Thank you,
Nikolai