Search Postgresql Archives

Re: logfile character encoding

Am 18.08.2014 17:50, schrieb Holger.Friedrich-Fa-Trivadis@xxxxxxxxx:

initdb.exe --locale=German_Germany  --encoding=UTF-8

which the link implies seems to have worked for its author?

I have tried a bunch of similar program calls and posted them last night as answer to Adrian. --encoding=UTF-8 sets the default database encoding, but this leaves the "Postmaster" itself at 1252. This is indicated by initdb's output, and your proposal gives exactly the setup that the installer does by default and which causes mixed logfile encodings.

As all my tests show, the "Postmaster" is bound to a valid Locale, and Unicode encodings are never part of valid Locales in Windows, so a Windows "Postmaster" will never write UTF-8 output.

Please note that the example in the block uses english language, so the author probably will not have noticed 1252 encodings. The english messages also don't have fancy (if not silly) quotation marks like the german ones.

Thanks,
Redoute