Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID

On 5/19/2013 7:19 PM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
On 13/05/13 11:23, David Boreham wrote:
btw we deploy on CentOS6. The only things we change from the default are:

1. add "relatime,discard" options to the mount (check whether the most
recent CentOS6 does this itself -- it didn't back when we first deployed
on 6.0).

While it is important to let the SSD know about space that can be reclaimed, I gather the operation does not perform well. I *think* current advice is to leave 'discard' off the mount options, and instead run a nightly cron job to call 'fstrim' on the mount point instead. (In really high write situations, you'd be looking at calling that every hour instead I suppose)

I have to admit to have just gone with the advice, rather than benchmarking it thoroughly.

The guy who blogged about this a couple of years ago was using a Sandforce controller drive. I'm not sure there is a similar issue with other drives. Certainly we've never noticed a problematic delay in file deletes. That said, our applications don't delete files too often (log file purging is probably the only place it happens regularly).

Personally, in the absence of a clear and present issue, I'd prefer to go the "kernel guys and drive firmware guys will take care of this" route, and just enable discard on the mount.