Search Postgresql Archives

Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID

Hello.

We're intending to deploy PostgreSQL on Linux with SSD drives which would be in a RAID 1 configuration with Hardware RAID.

My first question is essentially: are there any issues we need to be aware of when running PostgreSQL 9 on CentOS 6 on a server with SSD drives in a Hardware RAID 1 configuration? Will there be any compatibility problems (seems unlikely)? Should we consider alternative configurations as being more effective for getting better use out of the hardware?

The second question is: are there any SSD-specific issues to be aware of when tuning PostgreSQL to make the best use of this hardware and software?

The specific hardware we're planning to use is the HP ProLiant DL360 Gen8 server with P420i RAID controller, and two MLC SSDs in RAID 1 for the OS, and two SLC SSDs in RAID 1 for the database - but I guess it isn't necessary to have used this specific hardware setup in order to have experience with these general issues. The P420i controller appears to be compatible with recent versions of CentOS, so drivers should not be a concern (hopefully).

Any insights anyone can offer on these issues would be most welcome.

Regards,

Matt.