Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID

btw we deploy on CentOS6. The only things we change from the default are:

1. add "relatime,discard" options to the mount (check whether the most recent CentOS6 does this itself -- it didn't back when we first deployed on 6.0). 2. Disable swap. This isn't strictly an SSD tweak, since we have enough physical memory to not need to swap, but it is a useful measure for us since the default install always creates a swap partition which a) uses valuable space on the smaller-sized SSDs, and b) if there are ever writes to the swap partition it would be bad for wear on the entire drive.

We also setup monitoring of the drives' smart wear counter to ensure early warning of any drive coming close to wear out.
We do not use (and don't like) RAID with SSDs.