Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is this doable using Postgresql crosstab or some other function?

Merlin,
thanks for your reply. Semidoable? Let's break this into parts:
1) Is it possible to create a view which have dynamic number of colums based on the select response? 2) Is it possible to name view colums based on some data retrieved with select statement?

My pseudo definition, which was already simplified, could be simlified more. Maybe I do that and try crosstab for starters. As I told John, this model is one that works fine in one large application using MS SQL-Server. This view I am trying to create, is something that the application mentioned doesn't include. The model itself has been proven to be all working and extremely dynamical.

This is what I discussed with John outside the list, forgive me, I didn't notice that, neither did John I guess..

- mika -

John,
dynamic structures. Even if they were only one and the administrator user changed one, it would have some challange on it.

Actually I have built my app on top of Apache Cocoon, so using XML, as Cocoon utilizes SAX stream and everything is already in XML syntax, wouldn't be a bad option. But this question of mine is considering a part where the consumer is a GIS-Server which don't know anything about XML datastores. PostGIS extension on Postgresql makes it a suitable datastore.

- mika -