Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Kudos

On 8/12/2011 3:12 PM, George Weaver wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I want to thank all those that contribute to the PostgeSQL project for
such an awesome and professional product.

I started working with 7.2 on Windows (via cygwin), then 7.3, then to 8
and 8.1.

I have been using the 8.3 branch since it first came out.

This week I downloaded 9.04 and 9.1 beta 3, both source (to build some C
functions) and the installers.

Downloading the source and compiling went flawlessly (I use minGW).

The Installer worked flawlessly (the hardest part was remembering the
postgres system password after 3 years).

Backed up several databases from 8.3 and installed on 9.04 and 9.1. I
didn't have to change a thing. Everything ran flawlessly. And FAST.

I don't have large databases but they are highly normalized (70 + tables).

I make extensive use of a lot of the capabilities in PostgreSQL (xml,
dblink, triggers, functions (over 500), views, functions to create
views, psqlODBC, metadata to facilitate code generation, etc., etc.).

Of all the decisions I've made in my business, the one to use PostgreSQL
stands out as one of the best.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about all the people
who work and contribute in so many different ways to this wonderful
effort. And it just keeps getting better!

To all of you:

Kudos!!! Kudos!!! Kudos!!!

You're the best.

George

+1, thank you hackers!

I started with 8.0 on linux, so I'm just a baby. I think we need to find the oldest active PG install (that's actually live and in use), and give that DBA the "get off my lawn" award :-)

-Andy