Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Native DB replication for PG

Scott Marlowe wrote:
I tested 8.4 what I thought was fairly hardly last year only
to have 8.4.1 die under the same load that 8.3 handled without a
problem, and reverted to the known working version putting testing
8.4.1 on hold.

So to ME, the choice is a fully functional 8.3 installation that has
NO problems with free space map because of configuration choices, or
an 8.4 with a known (to me) issue of crashing and dying.

FYI, since December of 2009 (release of 8.4.2) there have been 10 bugs fixed with the word "crash" in their description, as well as 7 memory leaks that could potentially lead to crash. Even six months ago I was still hesitant to push 8.4 toward production systems; the number of bugs shaken out in the last two releases has been substantial.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us