Search Postgresql Archives

Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project

Hi Everyone:

Tomorrow, I will need to present to a group of managers (who know nothing about DBs) why I chose to use PG over MySQL in a project, MySQL being the more popular DB choice with other engineers, and managers fearing things that are “different” (risk).  I have a few hard tecnical reasons (check constraint, deferred constraint checking, array data type), but I’m looking for a “it’s more reliable” reasons.  Again, the audience is managers.  Is there an impartial,  3rd party evaluation of the 2 DBs out there that identifies PG as being more reliable?  It might mention things like fewer incidences of corrupt tables/indexes, fewer deamon crashes, better recovery after system crashes, etc... ?

Thanks !