Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Too many postgres.exe

On 15/12/2009 5:51 PM, A.Bhattacharya@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

However whenever my application is running I could see there are too
many postgres.exe are created even though the application is not doing
anything in database.

What is "too many" ?

What does:

  SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;

show?

How are you talking to PostgreSQL? Direct JDBC? An ORM like Hibernate? Which one? What JDBC driver version? Are you using a connection pool? Which one?

The people on this mailing list are, with the possible exception of Tom, not psychic. Some kind of details will help your question get a better answer, more quickly. See:

  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

In general the observation is that there are too many progress.exe
processes get created every time I run my application and it
postgres.exe eats up the maximum memory.

Then your server is not configured correctly. Set max connections, shared_buffers, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, etc so that your server cannot consume too much memory.

--
Craig Ringer