Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
NOTE: If I do one giant commit instead of lots of littler ones, I get
much better speeds for the slower cases, but I never exceed 5,500
which appears to be some kind of wall I can't break through.

That's usually about where I run into the upper limit on how many statements Python can execute against the database per second. Between that and the GIL preventing better multi-core use, once you pull the disk out and get CPU bound it's hard to use Python for load testing of small statements and bottleneck anywhere except in Python itself.

I normally just write little performance test cases in the pgbench scripting language, then I get multiple clients and (in 9.0) multiple driver threads all for free.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us