Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Pierre C <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
Pulling the plug should not corrupt a postgreSQL database, unless it was
using disks which lie about write caching.

Didn't we recently put the old wife's 'the disks lied' tale to bed in
favour of actually admiting that some well known filesystems and saftware
raid systems have had trouble with their write barriers?
I put a cheap UPS on the home server (which uses Software RAID) precisely
because I don't really trust that stuff, and there is also the RAID5 write
hole... and maybe the RAID1 write hole too... and installing a UPS takes
less time that actually figuring out if the system is power-loss-safe.

Very true, a UPS might not cover every possible failure mode, but it
sure takes care of an aweful lot of the common ones.
Yeah, but the original post was about mythtv boxes, which usually do not have upses. My suggestion about proper setup of the wal was based on some experience of my own. What I did was probably the fastest path to corrupt database files: diskless mythtv box that booted from the fileserver at the attic (with ups btw), but I was too lazy (after x days of lirc / xorg / ivtv / rtc / xmltv etc work) to move the default configured mysql database from the mythtv box (with root filesystem and also mysql on the nfs mount) to a mysql running on the fileserver itself. On top of that I had nfs mounted async for speed. Really after x days of configuration to get things running (my wife thinks it's hobby time but it really isn't) all that is on your mind is: it works good enough? fine, will iron out non essential things when they pop up and if the db becomes corrupt, I had database backups. In the end I had a few times a corrupt table that was always easily repaired with the mysqlcheck tool.

Based on this experience I do not think that reliability alone will convince mythtv developers/users to switch to postgresql, and besides that as a developer and user myself, it's always in a way funny to see how creative people can finding ways to not properly use (your) software ;-)

regards,
Yeb Havinga