Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

Hannu Krosing wrote:
Pulling the plug should not corrupt a postgreSQL database, unless it was
using disks which lie about write caching.

Didn't we recently put the old wife's 'the disks lied' tale to bed in favour of actually admiting that some well known filesystems and saftware raid systems have had trouble with their write barriers?

I put a cheap UPS on the home server (which uses Software RAID) precisely because I don't really trust that stuff, and there is also the RAID5 write hole... and maybe the RAID1 write hole too... and installing a UPS takes less time that actually figuring out if the system is power-loss-safe.