Re: Linux I/O tuning: CFQ vs. deadline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Greg Smith wrote:

Scott Marlowe wrote:
I'd love to see someone do a comparison of early to mid 2.6 kernels (2.6.18 like RHEL5) to very
up to date 2.6 kernels.  On fast hardware.

I'd be happy just to find fast hardware that works on every kernel from the RHEL5 2.6.18 up to the latest one without issues.

it depends on your definition of 'fast hardware'

I have boxes that were very fast at the time that work on all these kernels, but they wouldn't be considered fast by todays's standards.

remember that there is a point release about every 3 months, 2.6.33 is about to be released, so this is a 3 x (33-18) = ~45 month old kernel.

hardware progresses a LOT on 4 years.

most of my new hardware has no problems with the old kernels as well, but once in a while I run into something that doesn't work.

David Lang