Re: Linux I/O tuning: CFQ vs. deadline

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Greg Smith wrote:

Hannu Krosing wrote:
Have you kept trace of what filesystems are in use ?

Almost everything I do on Linux has been with ext3. I had a previous diversion into VxFS and an upcoming one into XFS that may shed more light on all this.

it would be nice if you could try ext4 when doing your tests.

It's new enough that I won't trust it for production data yet, but a lot of people are jumping on it as if it was just a minor update to ext3 instead of an almost entirely new filesystem.

David Lang

And, yes, the whole I/O scheduling approach in Linux was just completely redesigned for a very recent kernel update. So even what we think we know is already obsolete in some respects.