Re: Will Postgres ever lock with read only queries?

Robert James wrote:
Hi. I'm seeing some weird behavior in Postgres. I'm running read only queries (SELECT that is - no UPDATE or DELETE or INSERT is happening at all). I can run one rather complicated query and the results come back... eventually. Likewise with another. But, when I run both queries at the same time, Postgres seems to ground to a halt. Neither one completes. In fact, pgAdmin locks up - I need to cancel them using psql. I'd expect this from MySQL but not Postgres. Am I doing something wrong? Or missing something?

They're probably not blocking each other but more likely you're exhausting your servers resources. If they return "eventually" individually, then running both at the same time will take at least "eventually x2".

As Mark said, what are the queries? What postgres version? What o/s? What are your hardware specs (how much memory, disk speeds/types etc)?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/