Will Postgres ever lock with read only queries?

Hi.  I'm seeing some weird behavior in Postgres.  I'm running read only queries (SELECT that is - no UPDATE or DELETE or INSERT is happening at all).  I can run one rather complicated query and the results come back... eventually.  Likewise with another.  But, when I run both queries at the same time, Postgres seems to ground to a halt.  Neither one completes.  In fact, pgAdmin locks up - I need to cancel them using psql.
I'd expect this from MySQL but not Postgres.  Am I doing something wrong? Or missing something?