Re: Scalability in postgres

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Scott Marlowe wrote:

8.04  was a frakking train wreck in many ways.  It wasn't until 8.04.2
came out that it was even close to useable as a server OS, and even
then, not for databases yet.  It's still got broken bits and pieces
marked "fixed in 8.10"...  Uh, hello, it's your LTS release, fixes
should be made there as a priority.

Ubuntu doesn't really have LTS releases, they just have ones they claim are supported longer than others. But as you've also noticed, they really aren't. All they really offer is long-term critical security fixes for those releases, that's it. The longest I've ever gotten an Ubuntu box to last before becoming overwhelmed by bugs that were only fixed in later versions and not backported was around 2 years.

...but now we're wondering way off topic.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD