Re: Scalability in postgres

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Scott Carey wrote:

There are operations/IT people won't touch Ubuntu etc with a ten foot pole
yet for production.

The only thing I was suggesting is that because 2.6.28 is the latest Ubuntu kernel, that means it's gotten a lot more exposure and testing than, say, other options like 2.6.27 or 2.6.29.

I build a fair number of RedHat/CentOS systems with an upgraded kernel based on mature releases from kernel.org, and a config as close as possible to the original RedHat one, with the generic kernel defaults for all the new settings. I keep liking that combination better than just using an Ubuntu version with a newer kernel. I've seen a couple of odd kernel setting choices in Ubuntu releases before that motivate that choice; the scheduler trainwreck described at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226 comes to mind.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD