Re: update query taking too long

Richard Huxton wrote:
Chris wrote:
db=# UPDATE email_upd_test SET domainname=substring(email from position('@' in email));
UPDATE 1000000
Time: 43796.030 ms

I think I'm I/O bound from my very limited understanding of vmstat.

Well, 43 seconds to update 1 million rows suggests your real query should be complete in a few minutes, even if your real table has more columns.

Yep.

I think I have solved it though - the server was checkpointing so much not much else was going on.

I didn't have logging set up before but it's up and running now and I was getting

LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (26 seconds apart)
HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".

So I increased that from 10 to 30 and it finished:

UPDATE 3500101
Time: 146513.349 ms

Thanks for all the help :)

--