Re: update query taking too long

Chris wrote:
db=# UPDATE email_upd_test SET domainname=substring(email from position('@' in email));
UPDATE 1000000
Time: 43796.030 ms

I think I'm I/O bound from my very limited understanding of vmstat.

Well, 43 seconds to update 1 million rows suggests your real query should be complete in a few minutes, even if your real table has more columns.

Could you check again and just make sure you don't have a foreign key referencing this table? I suspect a large table without an index on the referencing column.

If you can't see anything, cancel the long-running query, run VACUUM FULL VERBOSE on the table, ANALYSE VERBOSE and then try it again. There's something very odd here.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd