Re: PREPARE and stuff

PFC wrote:

    Suppose a web application with persistent database connections.
    I have some queries which take longer to plan than to execute !

    I with there was a way to issue a PREPARE (like "PERSISTENT PREPARE").
Now all Postgres connections would know that prepared statement foo( $1, $2, $3 ) corresponds to some SQL query, but it wouldn't plan it yet. Just like a SQL function. When invoking EXECUTE foo( 1,2,3 ) on any given connection the statement would get prepared and planned. Then on subsequent invocations I'd just get the previously prepared plan.

How would that be different from the current PREPARE/EXECUTE? Do you mean you could PREPARE in one connection, and EXECUTE in another? If you're using persistent connections, it wouldn't be any faster than doing a PREPARE once in each connection.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas